Eco-friendly living for the practically minded.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Preserving herbs

Maja asked me about preserving herbs, specifically, freezing v. drying. So, a little late, here's what I figured out.

Last year, I tried freezing some herbs. There seems to be two methods for doing this:

1) Chop and freeze in a bag
2) Place in water and freeze in an ice-cube tray.

I tried both. #2 was pretty bad. Basically, the herbs float to the surface before they freeze, and then they get freezer burned. #1 was ok, but you can't measure it out. Basically, as soon as they thaw, they turn to mush, so you have to put them directly into the soup or whatever.

So, I'm just drying this year. However, I think it works best if you dry the leaves whole, and then crush them later as needed. I think it preserves the scent better.

Unfortunately, you can't smell how amazing my dried parsley is, but here's the photo comparison of the store-bought parsley with my parsley.

Store bought parsley smells faintly of parsley, but mostly of "dried plant". Home grown parsley is the second strongest herb we grow. Saul put some in soup yesterday, and when I walked in the kitchen, that was all I could smell.

No comments: