Eco-friendly living for the practically minded.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Disappearing zucchini orzo

I got this recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I hate zucchini, but I love this dish and make it every week throughout summer.



3 large zucchini
12 oz. of orzo pasta
3 T. olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
several sprigs of oregano, minced
Parmesan cheese, shredded

  1. Grate zucchini and put in large pan with olive oil, garlic, and oregano. Put on high.
  2. Fill pot with water, put on high to boil.
  3. Continue to stir zucchini. Supposedly, you "saute until golden". In reality it turns into a mushy mess. Just keep stirring until most of the water is out.
  4. While zucchini cooks, add orzo to boiling water, cook and drain.
  5. Mix zucchini into orzo.
  6. Serve topped with parmesan cheese to taste.

Notes:

The zucchini is a pain to shred. I highly suggest using a food processor. I am a big fan of my grating attachment for my KitchenAid mixer, which does this in no time.

This dish is also super-cheap. The zucchini costs 75 cents for a large zucchini from the farmer's market.

No comments: